Monday, September 22, 2008

Kimchi

Having made quite a few korean friends here in Australia, and seeing that kimchi is expensive here in Tassie, I decided to experiment making my own kimchi when I had free time. The result? Well my korean friends said it's good! So I shall post up the recipe that I used to make the kimchi.

1 Chinese Cabbage
Leek
Spring Onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob ginger, minced
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup chilli powder (gochugaru)
1/2 cup fish/prawn paste or sauce (I used chinchalok prawn paste)
1 heaped tbsp corn flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup salt to 1 litre of water

1. Soak cabbage in salt water for at least 5-6 hours, if not overnight.

2. Remove from salt water, rinse in fresh water 2-3 times.

3. Mix corn flour with water and heat over stove till the mixture thickens. Allow mixture to cool.

4. Add in chilli powder, sugar, prawn paste, garlic and ginger and mix well.

5. Cut cabbage, add in leek and spring onions and pour chilli mixture over the veg.

6. Mix well. I heard that the traditional method requires you to use your barehands. My korean friends say this gives it more flavour. Of course you can always use gloves to leave out the extra flavouring.

7. Store in containers for 3-4 days in cool place, after which put it in the fridge.

Above is me using my barehands to mix the kimchi. Someone commented that thats gross, I shall not mention names. But well, its traditional man! Maybe to add more flavour next time I shall not wash my hands first! Hahaha =X

And after mixing everything together... There you have it! Your own kimchi to wow your korean friends. Haha. Store the kimchi in containers and keep in a cool place for 3-4 days before putting it in the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there hot chef

x