Friday, August 8, 2008

Me Wah Restaurant

Haven't had much time to blog lately, deadlines for assignments are drawing nearing. And I'm actually studying really hard for some reason, I don't think I've ever put in this much effort into my studies before! I'm quite proud about it! Haha. =D

Let's blog about a restaurant this time. Actually went to this place when I first arrived in Tasmania this time round. Dad said we were at this restaurant the last time we were in Tasmania too. I'm not sure, some how mom and I couldn't remember but he was quite insistent. Well anyway, Me Wah Restaurant is supposed to be really famous for good asian food in Tasmania. Some of their awards include Tasmania's best asian restaurant from 1999-2007 and Tasmania's best overall restaurant in 2007. They're quite crowded on weekdays and usually fully booked on weekends. So go early or make a reservation if you intend to patronize them. It's a really popular place.

It's weird that the whole time my parents were with me in Tasmania, we only ate chinese food. Think it suits my parents tastes better, but they also said as a poor student I won't be able to afford all these luxuries when their gone. Haha. Well I can't complain I think I'm really lucky.

First up we have some sichuan hot and spicy soup. It was not bad but I guess you can compare it to what we get back home? Not as spicy and it's lacking the vinegar I think. But I don't think you can get it better at other asian restaurants here.

Next up was the salt and pepper pork ribs. This was really good! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. And the balance of salt and pepper was perfect. Not too salty or anything like that. Mom loved it too.

I love seafood in Australia, it's always so fresh. Well most of the time at least. Every seafood dish I've had so far in Tasmania has been great. This seafood combination was no exception. It was full of scallops, fish, prawns etc.... Man just makes me drool thinking about it! Sweet seafood in a savoury sauce. Best on rice man!

Last dish was stir fried duck with snow peas. This dish was a let down I think. It was way too salty. The duck meat was a little tough too. Didn't go down well, had to drink a lot of chinese tea to curb my thirst.

Overall I think the food here is pretty good, except for the duck which was too salty. Even though it was almost a full house but the food still came pretty fast. The staff were really friendly too. Oh yeah, for some reason rice in Tasmania is expensive! A bowl of rice costs $2.50 here! 5 times the price we normally pay in Singapore! And this is in AUD. Sometimes I wonder if I can BYO rice. Haha. Well, till next time! Later~

3 comments:

S Lee said...

how's tassie man!

S Lee said...

just a note be careful abt the seafood here its not as fresh as they claim.. they soak their prawns and shellfish in soda water to preserve the chewyness and 'fresh' texture so be careful!

Kyle said...

hey man tasmania is pretty gd! darn cold place but getting used to it. no high rise buildings and night life so was a bit weird at 1st. haha. oh okie will take note man. hows things with u?