Monday, June 22, 2009

Cheese cake

Yes the exams are finally over. Actually they've been over a while now but I haven't had the time to update my blog. Plus my internet has been down for the past few days. It's actually still down so I had to go to the school's learning hub to get internet. Anyway I haven't actually posted much recipes lately and I finally took a picture of my cheese cake before it got devoured by my friends so I figured I'd just blog about it. It's a really simple recipe that still tastes pretty good. The topping is optional and I'm actually still kind of working on that to make it taste better.



Cheesecake Recipe

2 blocks of 250g cream cheese, softened (I use philadelphia cream cheese)
2 eggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
Biscuits, crushed (I usually sure short bread or digestive)
Butter, melted

1. Mix the crushed biscuits together with the melted butter. Line your baking pan with baking paper. Press the mixture to the bottom of the pan. This makes the base of your cheese cake. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees c. You can put it in the oven for a few minutes to let it bake if you like.

2. Mix softened cream cheese together with eggs, then add vanilla essence and lastly the sugar. Mix it until smooth.

3. Pour the cream cheese mixutre over the base and spread it out evenly.

4. Bake in oven for about 30-40 minutes. The cake will start to rise after a while and may start to brown and crack if left in the oven for too long. I guess it doesn't look so nice that's why I normally try to cover it up by putting a topping. I should actually work on it cause maybe it doesn't need to be baked for that long? After its done leave it to cool and then throw it in the fridge for a few hours till its nice and cold.


(Didn't have enough cherries to cover the whole cake =X )

Anyway the topping is pretty simple. I normally use canned cherries or blueberries with syrup. I just heat up the syrup in a pot over the stove and add in sugar and some thickening agent like cornstarch. Don't let it boil cause it tends to create bubbles. I normally throw in the cherries or blueberries at the end and mix them in before I take the pot of the stove. Leave it to cool and then put it in the fridge. Pour over your cheese cake and viola! Alternatively you can use something like cherry pie filling. Works the same I reckon.

This recipe can be used to make small cheese cake tarts too. Great for serving at parties. Just get some cup cake cups and fill them up with the biscuit and cheesecake mixture and bake. Don't fill the cup to the brim since you need some space for it to rise. Should be able to fill about 30 cup cake cups or so depending on the size of the cups.

No comments: