Monday, July 28, 2008

Tom Yam Chicken

Ok lets start talking about food I've cooked for a change. It's been a really long while since I last posted a recipe on my blog. And since I've been doing quite a bit of cooking while I'm in Tasmania, it seems befitting for me to share some simple to cook recipes with everyone. Today I'm gonna blog about tom yam chicken. This dish is simple to cook and can even be made into a one meal dish if desired. Anyway I always use a lot of estimation in my dishes so I don't really have exact figures. I'll try measuring next time so I apologize for not being able to give figures now.

Ingredients needed:
Tom yam paste
chicken, cubed/diced/strips (you can use breast meat for a healthier alternative)
chilli, sliced (depends on how spicy you like it, I like it really hot)
bamboo shoots
coconut milk (I suppose you can use yogurt or coconut milk substitute, but I've not tried those)
button mushrooms, sliced (canned or fresh, its up to you)
onions, sliced
garlic, minced

1. Heat up your frying pan. Once hot add some oil and fry garlic, adding your onions once garlic starts to turn brown. Fry onions till they change colour.

2. Add in your mushrooms and bamboo shoots and fry for 2 minutes before adding in your chicken.

3. Add in tom yam paste and coconut milk, followed by your chilli and continue to cook until chicken is done.

If you want it to be a one meal dish you can throw in other vegetables like cabbage, xiao bai cai, bean sprouts etc, and serve on top of rice or noodles.


This dish can easily be done in 15-20 minutes including preparation time. Of course to save time you can buy cans of pieces and stems mushrooms, cut up chicken pieces, minced garlic in a bottle etc to reduce your preparation time. Simple and delicious!

No comments: